Saturday 21 December 2013

Glossybox December 2013


I had so much fun writing my post about last month's Glossybox that I decided to make it a regular thing on my blog. I have a rolling monthly subscription to Glossybox and it's always so exciting when it arrives each month. 
Each month is themed and this month was 'Festive Treasures.'
Everything about the presentation of the box was so festive and it got me so excited about the festive season. Even down to the candy canes on the wrapper, you have to admire their attention to detail to make this box as perfect as they can.

The products inside, on the other hand I was severely disappointed with.
For the past few months I suppose I've been expecting too much from my Glossybox and they've been rather average. I was completely in love with last month's box and had extremely high expectations for December's. 

I think my problem was that there wasn't enough glamour in the box. I wasn't expecting tonnes and tonnes of glitter-covered, gold coloured items, but not a single item put me in the party mood, which being the last box of the year and in a way an early christmas present was what I was expecting.


Items in my box were :

| BEAUTIFUL MOMENTS COSMETICS | Nude Lip Gloss |
| WILKINSON SWORD INTUITION | Naturals Razor |
| MAYBELLINE NEW YORK | Brow Drama Sculpting Mascara |
| SECHE | Seche Nail Lacquer, Portobello |
| RITUALS... | Miracle Balm |

SECHE |  Seche Nail Lacquer, Portobello.
£9.95 for 14ml.

I've explained before why I dislike receiving nail related products in my glossyboxes. I've actually had a Seche polish before in a previous box and never used it, except when I first tried it after opening my box. Despite not wearing it for any longer than a day, I was completely impressed with how rich in colour and glossy these polishes are. I dislike the colour I got given this month, it puts me in a rather autumnal mood rather than festive one. It's actually a milk chocolately brown colour when applied and I just didn't like it at all. In my opinion, it's far too dark for this season and rather gloomy. Besides the colour, I'm not too bothered about this product since I never wear nail varnish, anyway.



BEAUTIFUL MOVEMENTS COSMETICS | Lip Gloss, Nude.
£12 for 8ml.

I'm not the biggest fan of lip glosses, I find they can be overly sticky and especially in this weather we're having at the moment, as soon as the slightest bit of wind comes along, I no longer have lips and find myself eating my hair. I was surprised when I tried this lip gloss, it's rich in jojoba oil which keeps your lips moisturised, I find that extremely important at this time of year. I was actually a little surprised when I found out the brand, Beautiful Movements was co-founded by Kimberly Wyatt, from the Pussycat Dolls. The entire brand is cruelty free and the products are free from harsh chemicals and fragrances, meaning it is suitable for all skin types and is actually beneficial to the skin. I expect we'll be seeing and hearing a lot more from Beautiful Movements in the future! The colour of the lipgloss itself is similar to my actual lip colour, but a tad more corally, so it's perfect for an effortless natural make up look.
I was sent a sample size of 4ml, which will easily fit in a pocket, or clutch bag for a night out. I will definitely keep using this product.

RITUALS...| Miracle Balm.
£10 for 75ml.

I just lovelovelove hand creams and balms. I find myself actually getting jealous of people with incredibly soft and healthy hands and I'm pretty sure I'll try almost anything to try and get mine the same. I adore this product so much it's unreal. I've actually worked it into my daily routine and have found that it works best for me when applied before bed, to allow the moisture to sink in properly. It's incredibly rich in texture and I've found a little goes an extremely long way. It smells amazing!! It can be a little over-powering some times but the white lotus and ginkgo biloba leaves a fresh floral scent to your hands. The ingredients include Glycerine, which is the main help in leaving your hands soft and provides the nourishment needed to repair dry, rough hands. The packaging is lovely and I would definitely recommend this balm with dry or rough hands.

MAYBELLINE NEW YORK| Brow Drama Sculpting Mascara.
£4.99 for 7.6ml.

I really did not like this product at all. First of all, I was send the colour 'dark brown' which is a completely different colour to my selection in my beauty profile; so the mascara was far too dark for me to start with. I feel like this mascara is more suited for those with naturally full eyebrows as it adds a little more definition but can draw attention to gaps already in the brows. I found that it is easy to accidentally apply to much, leaving your brows looking and feeling fairly hard and in a way, stale. I also feel the wand is completely the wrong shape, making it difficult to apply to the thinner end of the brow without smudging it either side of the hair. I really did not get along with this product at all, but I would recommend it if you feel you can benefit from extra enhancement of your eyebrows. Even if you decide to purchase it to try it, it's more affordable than the higher end alternatives available. I definitely suggest testing the colour out before you purchase it. I don't think I'll go out and buy the right colour for me, I rely on filling in my eyebrows far too much since they're not as full as I'd like them to be.

WILKINSON SWORD INTUITION | Naturals Razor.
£6.49.

I opened my glossybox and this was the first thing that caught my eye. I thought it was extremely weird to be given a razor but I'm so glad that I was. Nothing feels better than having freshly shaved legs and fresh bedding. I usually opt for the cheapest pack of disposable razors the shop has and often find myself trying to shave my legs in the shower in as little time as possible, leaving myself with battle wounds all over my legs. This razor is actually perfect. I haven't cut myself using it once (yet.) Surrounding the blades is a conditioning solid, meaning you don't need shaving cream or any alternative. All you have to do is ensure the solid is wet and shave away. It turns creamy when water is applied and moisturises as you shave. I actually felt really glamorous after using it for the first time. It comes with a cover for the top of the razor, so you don't get the conditioning solid everywhere after using it and it also comes with a holder which can be attached to the wall, or wherever you want to store the razor. 
It's refillable so once your conditioning solid had bitten the dust you can just replace it with a new one. I wasn't given any refills, but I've just looked online and you can get a pack of three for about £7. 
I definitely recommend checking it out, I have a feeling it's changed my way of shaving from now on.



It actually pains me a little to write a bad review of a product. I really dislike it when something doesn't meet my expectations, or I don't get along with it at all. All these opinions are my own  and obviously not everything will suit everyone, especially with things like beauty boxes, where you don't actually know what you're going to get. It's all part of the fun, though. I love trying new products and brands and I don't think I would be using half the things I do now if it wasn't for beauty boxes and other people's reviews. 

If anyone has anything in mind that they think I may like, or something you'd just like me to try out, please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Are you subscribed to a beauty box like Glossybox or any other alternative?
What did you think of this month's box? and I'd love to hear what would be in your dream box?

     twitter | instagram | tumblr | bloglovin'